Amber has done such a great job sharing some of our moments with all of you, I thought I should contribute.
As you know, yesterday was both Amber's and my birthday. While we were blowing out the candles on our "joint" cake, it prompted memories from my childhood. So I thought I would share some of those fond memories with you...
Growing up, we (Hatfields) had many traditions. For example, dad reading "The Night Before Christmas," the night before Christmas (which he still does). As kids, we could always expect to receive a heart-shaped-box of chocolates for Valentines Day, hunting for candy filled eggs on Easter, and even more importantly, the matters of our birthday.
Our birthday celebration always contained a very important, constant variable - our birthday cake. Some of you already know where I am headed with this... Mom, regardless of her schedule would always make time to bake a cake for our special day. The constant was not expecting the cake itself, but rather the flavor of the cake. It seemed we always had a yellow-cake with milk chocolate frosting for our birthday, and not just for my birthday, but for both of my siblings as well. It wasn't until I was a stock boy at the local grocery store during high school, that I realized there were more options than yellow cake mix and chocolate frosting.
For the past two years, my wonder wife has continued this tradition - baking me a yellow cake with chocolate frosting. What's more important is that Amber has conceded her favorite cake (anything other than yellow cake with chocolate frosting) to keep the tradition going. I've promised her that we will try something new next year... maybe funfetti with rainbow chip frosting.
I plan to continue contributing posts to the blog as we explore our new surroundings. But will leave the majority of the creative contributions to my much more talented wife.
Good for you Amber....keeping the tradition alive!! Love you both!
ReplyDelete