Monday, August 8, 2011

Okra's tries to pull a fast one

I tend to write about food on here a lot.  I love food.  I love trying new food, visiting hole-in-the-wall restaurants, and stealing bites of food from Josh's plate if what he's eating looks better than what I've ordered.  (Which happens frequently.)  I was overjoyed this weekend to finally find a nearby Cajun restaurant.  In Kansas City, we frequently ate at Jazz.  I've been aching for some good Cajun food and found a restaurant called Okra's Louisiana Bistro in Manassas, VA.  Manassas is located about 20 minutes southwest of us and is where The Battle of Bull Run took place in 1861.  The restaurant is brightly painted outdoors and indoors in traditional New Orleans colors - bright purple, yellow and green.  Our silverware bundles were even wrapped in Mardi Gras beads.  We tried the alligator bites with spicy remoulade sauce for our appetizer and they were delicious.  Josh tried a cup of their traditional gumbo and it too was very yummy.  For our entrees, Josh ordered shrimp jambalaya and I ordered the crawfish etouffee.  The plate that showed up in front of me was not crawfish etouffee.  I know what a crawfish looks, tastes, and smells like.  I have fished for crawfish in Kansas ponds and have eaten crawfish at other Cajun restaurants.  The waiter sat down our plates and quickly walked away.  I poked suspiciously at the food until he returned and then asked, "These are crawfish?"  He chuckled nervously and gave me a sheepish grin and quickly walked away a 2nd time.  I laid one of my "crawfish" next to one of the shrimp on Josh's plate.  Those two little boogers could have been brothers.  Josh said, "Maybe they're just really big crawfish."  But after trying one he agreed...these were shrimp.  Does anyone else at this restaurant fall for this?  Maybe they ran out and were just hoping no one would notice the substitute.  Shame on them.  I would definately eat here again...I just wouldn't order "crawfish."  (Here ends my soapbox rant.)

No comments:

Post a Comment